Practicalities for the USI community

Curricular internship abroad

In the case of a curricular internship abroad, the student must register the work experience (and for the subsequent ECTS validation at the end of the experience) on Mobility Online.

PLEASE NOTE: Students insured through Swisscare can maintain this coverage while carrying out an internship abroad if they maintain their study permit in Canton Ticino for the entire duration of the stay. We remind those students that during a temporary stay abroad, Swisscare is only valid in case of emergency. For more information, please contact the Swisscare office: [email protected].

In addition, The Career Service supports students in doing a curricular internship aborad by providing:

  • Scholarships:
    The Careers Service provides scholarships for internships abroad for all students who are regularly enrolled in a USI programme and meet the requirements. More information HERE.
  • ​Internship agreement:
    If the law of the host country requires it, USI can enter into an agreement with the professional organisation and the stagiaire. Model agreements are available in Italian and English (in Word format and already formatted for filling in the necessary fields).
    The Università della Svizzera italiana does not take on the insurance responsibility for the respective insurance policies required by the agreements (third-party liability and workplace accident risk).


Internship permits:
Please note that in some countries it is necessary to obtain a work permit to carry out an internship. You can apply directly to the company or the consulate of the host country.

For more information on the main destinations, you can consult the dossiers compiled by the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA) at the following links:

In particular, for an internship in the United States, we suggest you to check the following links:

Updated on: 31 May 2024