The indications below integrate USI Regulations on indemnities and compensation for the staff of the Lugano Campus (both academic and administrative), and are available also on the online reimbursement platform of the campus.
- Regulations on indemnities and compensation (see above)
- Guidelines reference (in Italian) – Swiss Fiscal Conference
- All expense claims must be duly accompanied with original receipts and, in general, information that endorse or justify the purpose for travel (travel plan, flight schedule, train reservation, shuttle bus, accommodation, conference invitation and proof of participation), enabling therefore an accurate review.
- Should the reimbursement claim lack necessary pieces of information / explanation to ensure a correct handling of the same, USI standards are applied (e.g. travel by private vehicle, use of taxi, hotel rates etc.).
- Use of private credit / debit card: payment receipts and/or bank statements reporting solely the amount paid are accepted only if combined with the original receipt.
- Expenses that are not strictly related to the claimant’s line of duty at USI will be further verified by USI Administration, which reserves the right to refuse them, as appropriate.
- Expense claims should be submitted in timely manner (no later than 30 days after the conclusion of the event that generated the claim, see art. 3, para. 4 of the Regulations on indemnities and compensation), and in all cases by the end of the calendar year (Regulations on indemnities and compensation, art. 3, para. 6).
- Collaborators and staff are invited to verify on a regular basis the status of their expense claims in the Reimbursement platform. Once approved, expense claims can no longer be amended. All changes to claimed expenses are detailed and justified on the relevant form in the said portal.
Meals – flat rate
- A flat fee for meals is applicable only under special circumstances, e.g. when collecting receipts is particularly difficult (excluding Europe, the United States and all other major urban and developed centres around the world).
- For conference attendance it is required to enclose the receipt of payment of the registration fee and relevant confirmation and/or programme from which it can be inferred whether meals are included or not.
- Expense claims presenting flat rate for meals must be duly justified; if not:
1) USI administration is entitled to ask for further explanations;
2) the claimed amounts may be refused.
Entertainment and representation expenses
- By art. 6 of the Regulations on indemnities and compensation, main meals with guests (mainly lunches and dinners) are claimable. In principle, breakfasts, beverages and refreshments will no longer be reimbursed.
- For online bookings or orders (travel, other goods or services etc.), the expense claim must include proof of payment, i.e. bank account or credit card statement in addition to the order confirmation.
- For online reservations, the relevant hotel receipt (available upon check out) must be enclosed in the expense claim.
- Confirmation of registration and certificate of attendance (where issued, or, if not available, any document that proves attendance) and the programme of the conference must be enclosed.
- If the claimed expense for accommodation is significantly higher than the limits established by USI (Regulations on indemnities and compensation, art. 5, para. 3), it is required to enclose the list of special rate hotels provided by conference organization.
- - It is required to enclose all boarding passes, even for flights booked and paid in advance by USI.
- In accordance with the Regulations on indemnities and compensation, USI reimburses the cost of travel by private vehicle up to the public transport equivalent fare, especially when the destinations are within reach of public transport.
- Travel by private vehicle must be duly documented (e.g. with www.viamichelin.com or other route planner websites) and accounted for.
- The reimbursement of the defined fee per kilometer is admitted only under special circumstances or when duly justified (in particular, when travelling with other individuals, transport of materials or goods, absence of public transportation or when the private vehicle is more cost/time effective than public transport). USI Administration has to give its prior authorization.
- For long haul (e.g. exceeding 400 km), the expense claim may be considered by presenting all original receipts for petrol, road tolls, parking etc., and is subject to prior request and authorisation by USI Administration.
- The purchase of licences and additional storage space on Dropbox is permitted only with personal or research project funds (for the latter, if the project covers such expenses).
- Alternative solutions are provided by USI IT Service (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Scientific paper submission and publishing fees
- Fees for the publishing of scientific papers are reimbursed only on personal funds or on projects/mandates that cover these expenses; for projects funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation the said fees will be reimbursed only if they are included in the budget and if indicated on the list of journals acknowledged by the SNSF.
- The procedure for ordering books is to purchase them through the USI library.
- Books that are purchased privately can be reimbursed only with personal or project funds, when foreseen by the relevant budget.
Hardware / software
- The procedure for the purchase of hardware and/or software is to purchase it through the USI IT service.
- Private purchases may be reimbursed only with personal or project funds, when foreseen by the relevant budget.
USI Business Travel Desk
- By general rule, for cost containment reasons (Regulations on indemnities and compensation, art. 3, para. 1) it is recommended that all travel be booked in advance through the USI travel management office (Mr. Mattia Tamò, email@example.com, and Mrs. Janine Caggiano, for the Faculty of Informatics, firstname.lastname@example.org) by reporting all useful information on the cost approval form transmitted by the USI Business Travel Desk
Expense claims for externals and guests
- The expense claim and personal data forms for guests are available for download at the Reimbursement platform (http://rimborsi.lu.usi.ch).
Lugano, November 8th, 2015