Travel for work purposes
- PhD Candidates
- Human resources
Indemnities (reimbursements) are governed by the provisions set out below.
Applications should be made:
The staff members who handle applications are:
The administrative managers responsible are:
As of 01.10.2003; updated: 01.06.2015
Art. 1 Scope
1. The present Regulations apply to Faculty members (e.g. professors, lecturers, assistants, researchers and teaching assistants) and Staff members – administrative, librarians, technical, support – (hereafter: USI Staff) at USI Università della Svizzera italiana and its associated Institutes (hereafter: USI), as well as visiting faculty or staff as per art. 2, para. 1, let. d), and are in general applicable regardless of the source of funding.
Art. 2 Setting of indemnity
1. In accordance with the present Regulations, indemnities are accounted as follows:
a) for all USI Staff: travel, board and accommodation expenses that incur in pursuance of assigned duties and which are foreseen by the relevant budget
b) for resident Faculty: expenses incurred at scientific conferences, subject to approval by the relevant Institute and foreseen by its defined budget
c) for administrative, librarians and technical Staff: training or educational costs approved by USI Administration and foreseen by USI budget
d) for fixed-term lecturers and visiting Faculty (e.g. guest speakers, invited lecturers, committee and board members): travel and accommodation expenses approved by USI Administration and foreseen by the relevant budget, with the exception of the provisions as per art. 3 para. 2 for fixed-term lecturers
2 In principle, all other expenses that have not been approved or authorised by USI Administration and the ones which do not comply with the definitions as per para. 1 shall not be reimbursed, unless chargeable to project or personal funds.
Art. 3 General reimbursable expenses
1. In principle, USI grants entitlement to compensation to all USI Staff, except para. 2, for duties pertaining to the Staff’s related position at USI. Refund is subject to authorisation from one’s line manager / supervisor. USI Staff are required to limit expenses whenever possible. USI Administration reserves the right to reduce indemnities in case of evident variance in terms of costs. Expenses deemed unnecessary for the carrying out of assigned duties shall not, in principle, be reimbursed and shall therefore be borne by USI Staff.
2. Fixed-term lecturers are entitled to an indemnity only if their domicile is outside the daily commuting range (Ticino and Lombardia, approx. 100 km from Lugano/Mendrisio); in this case the terms of reimbursable expenses are finalized in the contract.
3. The right to indemnity is void when the contract provides for a lump sum.
4. Indemnities are to be claimed with the relevant form, to which all related and original receipts must be attached and, in principle, all information about the related business trip / assignment that allow an accurate inspection (e.g. travel plan, booking of flights, train, shuttle buses, hotel, invitation to conferences etc.). Credit or debit card bills must include the original expense receipt or invoice for expense detail validation. The form has to be signed by the line manager or supervisor within 30 days of the conclusion of the event that generated the expense. Expense claims must be complete and accurate so that the expense reason may be clearly identified.
5. Approved expenses are generally reimbursed within 30 days.
6. The right to indemnity is void at the beginning of the following calendar year.
7. Flights, trains and other means of transportation, hotels, and other services are to be booked with suitable advance and, in principle, by addressing USI’s internal business travel offices.
8. Expense claims are subject to audit, for Regulations compliance purposes, by the appointed delegates of USI Administration.
Art. 4 Travel
1 For work-related travel, USI Staff are entitled to use the following means of transport, in order of priority:
a) public transport and shuttle buses to/from airports and/or hotels
c) private vehicle
2. When choosing means of transport, journeys should be optimised and overall costs minimised (actual cost and travel time). Car rentals may be envisaged whenever this option follows the principle of cost and time optimisation. In the event of evident excesses USI Administration reserves the right to reduce the indemnity.
3. Taxi transfers to/from the Lugano and Mendrisio campuses, and in particular those to/from Lugano and Mendrisio FFS train stations and to/from the Agno airport are, in principle, admitted to fixed-term lecturers, guest lecturers, guest speakers and other invited Faculty, whereas to USI Staff these are acknowledged only when public transport is not available. For the Mendrisio campus, Faculty and Staff are required to use the in-house shuttle service whenever possible.
4. Use of taxi service is acknowledged in out of Canton and abroad trips (e.g. unfamiliar places) given that it complies with the principle of cost and time optimisation. The related expense has to be duly accounted for.
b) Reimbursement terms
5. Travel expenses are reimbursed in correspondence to the shortest distance between the workplace (or domicile) and the destination.
6. Work-related travel is compensated as follows:
a) public transport:
the cost of the ticket – Swiss FFS Half-fare travel card equivalent (travel passes, season tickets, travel passes or other reduced-fare arrangements are to be considered) – in 1st class (professors and lecturers), in 2nd class for all other Staff.
b) private vehicle:
up to maximum the cost of the equivalent public transport fare (see let. a)). The journey must be duly documented. CHF 0,55 per km fee is admitted only under special circumstances or when duly justified and is subject to prior request and authorization by USI Administration (i.e. when the use of a private vehicle should prove to be more cost/time effective in comparison to public transport or when the latter is unavailable). The fare includes fuel, parking, maintenance, repairs, insurance. Departing airport parking may be reimbursed when compliant to the principle of cost optimisation, as per para. 2. Toll fees are reimbursed, in addition to let. b), when duly documented with original receipts. USI is not responsible for any damage to things or persons incurred when travelling with private or rented vehicles.
price at economy class fare. Self-booking of airplane tickets is admitted, provided it complies with the principle of cost optimisation, as per para. 2
Art. 5 Board and accommodation
1. For resident Faculty, assistants and USI Staff (but not fixed-term lecturers, as defined by art. 3, para. 2, expenses for meals and accommodation incurred outside of the Canton are reimbursed as follows:
2. In special cases, duly justfied (courses, conferences), the additional expenses may be admitted, provided they are duly accounted for and have been granted prior authorisation by USI Administration.
3. Internet access costs may be reimbursed up to a maximum amount of CHF 10.- per day. Telephone expenses will not be reimbursed.
4. USI acknowledges solely travel and accommodation (overnight stays in a single- room) expenses for fixed-term lecturers and visiting Faculty entitled to compensation as per art. 2 para. 1 of the present Regulations; meals, phone/internet and other expenses are not reimbursed.
Art. 6 Entertainment expenses
1. For meals with guest lecturers, in particular for public conferences at USI, speeches during courses or events related to third-party funded research projects, following rules apply:
2. The expense claim must clearly indicate the purpose of the claim and the names of the invitees.
3. Tips, as well as breakfasts, beverages and snacks between meals, shall not be reimbursed.
4. Expenses exceeding the spending limits are not reimbursed or else charged on personal funds whenever available.
Art. 7 Waiver
1. Any exceptions to the present Regulations are subject to prior approval, on a case- by-case basis, by USI Administration.
Art. 8 Effective date
1. The present Regulations become effective from June 1st, 2015.
The indications below integrate USI Regulations on indemnities and compensation for the staff of the Lugano Campus (both academic and administrative), and are available also on the online reimbursement platform of the campus.
Meals – flat rate
Entertainment and representation expenses
Scientific paper submission and publishing fees
Hardware / software
USI Business Travel Desk
Expense claims for externals and guests
Lugano, November 8th, 2015