Practicalities for the USI community

Part-time/Summer job for international students

  • A student with a "B" or "L" permit can work up to 15 hours a week during the semester or full time during the summer.
  • Students coming from Non-EU/EFTA countries and benefiting from Swisscare can engage in part-time lucrative activity (max. 15 hours per week/full-time during the summer and after waiting a minimum of 6 months from the permit issuance), but will lose the right to Swisscare, becoming subject to mandatory insurance in Switzerland for the entire duration of employment. For further information, please contact: [email protected].

According to the Swiss Law, the Immigration Office in Bellinzona must be informed of the student’s part-time work activity through request the modification of your permit:

  1. It is mandatory to produce a contract, duly signed and dated by the employer and the student, in which the information concerning the start and end date; percentage and place of work and pay is specified
  2. Download from the portal reserved for students the certificate 15 working hours or the certificate for summer activity.
  3. Request the modification of the residence permit on Immigration Office website (Notifica inizio impiego studenti permesso B o L).
  4. After completing the online procedure, the student must send by post the requested documents to the Migration Office in Bellinzona (via Lugano 4, 6501 Bellinzona).

For more information about the regulation that governs the possibility for non-Swiss students to work part-time during their studies, please read the Ordinanza sull’ammissione, il soggiorno e l’attività lucrativa (OASA).



Updated on: 16 May 2024